Having a pedicure can be a nice relaxing and beneficial experience. Its a great therapeutic treatment that ensures your feet remain smooth, your toenails grow properly and your feet look and feel optimal. But how long does a pedicure take to do? Is this something that is going to require a lot of your time? I decided to conduct some research into the topic to help you decide whether or not to go and get one.
So, how long does a pedicure take? A pedicure typically takes between 45-90 minutes at a spa. This time will vary depending on the type of pedicure that you get, the experience of the pedicurist and the overall condition of your feet. However, it is possible to do a pedicure yourself from home and this can reduce the time it takes as you do not need to travel to the spa, wait for your appointment etc.
Let us know take a closer look at pedicures, how much they cost, why you would want one and some other tips and recommendations to ensure your feet are in the best shape possible.
Time Required For a Pedicure
On average, pedicurists , experts and professionals will take around an hour to complete a pedicure. However, this can range and so a more accurate allowance is between the 45-90 minute range for a standard treatment.
The factors involved that will dictate how long the pedicure lasts, which may make a pedicure last at either ends of the scale are:
- Pedicure Service Ordered
- General condition of the nails and the skin of the foot.
- How often/regularly you have been having pedicures
- Experience of the pedicurist
- Products used (some will be quicker than others)
- How much your pedicurist pauses, breaks
- How much the service involves small talk and other factors that delay the treatment
- If you have to wait for an appointment in salon (always preferable to phone or book ahead)
- Any extras that are provided
- General attitude of the pedicurist and how good of a service they are looking to give.
How Much Does a Pedicure Cost?
The cost of a pedicure is going to vary between salon/spa, location and the kind of service that you are after. It is therefore hard to give an exact amount.
However, a comprehensive analysis by Statista, a leading and recognized market data analysis platform, concluded that the average price of a pedicure was $33.72 in 2018.
As you can see, the price has remained pretty consistent over the course of the 10 years under study, hovering around the $30 point and only going up marginally.
This analysis looked across salons all over the US, so you can get a pretty good overview and understanding of the costs involved.
Consider this is an average, so your local salon may charge more or less. It is always best to speak to, or visit your salon directly. But with this information above, you now have a reference point of what you should be expecting to pay for a standard service.
Whats Included In A Pedicure?
Assuming that you are going for a standard pedicure service (without all the optional and more expensive extras) you will have a foot bath, your feet will be exfoliated, creams will be applied and your cuticles/nails will be cut and shaped.
To begin with, the foot bath will be in warm and scented water which will help to soften the skin.
Next, your pedicurist will exfoliate your feet with a product like salts/specific minerals.
At this stage, your cuticles and toenails will be cut and shaped to a neutral style. However, you can always specify the length and your preferences here.
One your nails have been reduced, certain creams and oil will be massaged into your feet to soften the skin and to help overcome any excessive dry skin. Depending on the salon/spa, you may even have your lower legs massaged at this point.
Towards the end of your pedicure, you will also have your toenails polished. You can usually ask for a specific color but more often than not you will be asked what you would like from a number of different options.
At the end of your pedicure, your feet will feel fresh, clean and rejuvenated.
Types of Pedicure
Each salon, spa and pedicurist will offer their own unique services and different types of treatment. These will come at different price points.
However, there is generally a number of services that are provided which I have documented down below:
- French pedicure: this follows the general pedicure procedure (as outlined above). However, it differs because at the end your toenail tips will be painted with thin white strips followed by a sheer nude or pink color on the base of the nails.
- Gel pedicure: again, this follows the general pedicure procedure but at the end of the treatment, gel polish is applied and cured onto your nails using a UV Lamp.
- Wax pedicure: this uses wax to provide extra moisture, nourishment and massage to your feet and sometimes legs.
- Complete Treatment (Luxury) this is usually the highest priced treatment that will also take the most time. It usually involves all of the services provided by that salon/spa including extensive massage, heated towels and extra products like Cuticle Oils and Creams.
Benefits of a Pedicure
While it may take some time to get a pedicure done, there are a number of benefits to doing so and reasons to get one (and regularly).
The main benefits include but are not limited to:
- Ensure your feet look and feel pretty
- Keep nails trimmed, safe and healthy,
- Controls Calluses
- Moisturize dry skin
- Relieve tension in the foot
- Stimulate circulation to ensure nails grow optimally and feet are more hydrated.
- Prevent and help you overcome foot problems and injuries
- Improve your Posture
- Relax and calm you
Can You Do A Pedicure At Home?
With the cost of a pedicure averaging out at $30 a go, you can see how this will soon get expensive and fast. Just like your fingernails, your toenails and your require a lot of attention. Nails grow fast and they are in constant use.
If anything, feet are more prone to drying out and facing the brunt of our lifestyles as we are on them all day!
Thankfully, it is possible to do a manicure at home. All you need to do is to purchase the acquired apparatus. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that explain how you can provide yourself with a manicure from the comfort of your own home, or you can experiment yourself. You have a lot of flexibility here.
I personally own the Beurer Professional Manicure and Pedicure System, and you can get it for a great price on Amazon. Its absolutely fantastic and you can use it on your hands and feet alike. Its a complete kit with all the components you will ever need. I am not surprised that it has so many 5* ratings.
Using this kit all you then need to do is massage, clip and paint your nails. It really is effortless. Sure you do not get the luxuries of the salon/spa but it is ideal if you are on a budget.
Thankfully, if you want a pedicure you can get one done in around 45-90 minutes. It doesn’t take too long and it shouldn’t break the bank if you go ever so often.
Getting a pedicure is one of the nicest, calming experiences and one of the best things you can do for your toenails.
Consider getting yourself a pedicure system for home use, and throw in some salon/spa visits every now and again. It will save you money, ensure you stay on top of your nails and will keep the costs down!
Hey – I’m Jemma – a certified nail technician and manicurist with over fifteen years of hands-on industry experience. I created AlmondNails.com to share all that I have learned about the nail industry – from the different types of manicures available, suggestions for wear, recommendations for keeping nails strong and healthy, all the way through to providing the best nail salon tips and practices.